June/July Makes!

I’d written a June post….but hadn’t hit the publish button. I do try to be upbeat, but in June I was obviously feeling the strain and what I’d written was while truthful, not what I want to project onto my readers/video blog watchers. I scrapped it, so let’s started again…….

True confession - not much knitting has been going on. I just don’t have the mental focus. 

When inspiration is lacking, sometimes it’s a good idea to do a deep tidy…all the nooks and crannies…..and voila, I came across my Lisa Richardson crochet-along blanket almost but not quite finished! 

Why do we stall at the late stage in a project. Do we get bored? Does something new catch our eye and tempt us away? Who knows…..this poor blanket was rolled up in a bag with some loose squares just begging to be sewn up and displayed on the back of our couch. So, after some assessment, I decided that I’d cobble the last few squares that I had, make it more rectangular in finished size, do a border and voila….it is done!


You can find the pattern here…..
The Lisa Richardson 2017 Crochet Along

I asked Rowan about the pattern and they have it available on their web site, including an option to buy the necessary yarn! I love this aspect of the new Rowan web site….if your LYS doesn’t have the Rowan yarn you need, you can order it on KnitRowan.com and they send it direct to you! (If you are on this side of the pond in the US or Canada, it comes to you from the US Sirdar warehouse….so delivery is quick!)


Here’s my June/July Makes update on youtube!


 


SOMETIMES A CHANGE IS REQUIRED

I decided in June that the crafting powers were telling me something. I was watching Arne and Carlos and they often mention Kate of “The Last Homely House” youtube channel. Kate is a crafter extraordinaire, quilting, knitting, painting, gardening, recycling, you name it, she does it. This is where EPP, that’s English Paper Piecing, really caught my eye. Kate has/had a large hexie epp quilt on her design board in the background of many videos. 

She has a small shop of offerings and there I found this….


It’s a printable pattern, and looked like just the size of project that I might tackle as a beginner…and I was right. Here is my EPP Pincushion! Want to make your own pincushion? Get your copy of here…



I used some Kaffe Collective fabrics I had on hand from a disastrous experience I had at a Kaffe quilting course in the UK (I won’t go into that here LOL). 

This pattern gives you a page of the templates that you need…so you print and then cut out by hand. It was a little tricky to sew, but I managed it.

Then a friend of mine popped an adorable hexie into a package for me during one of our parking lot exchanges (quick hello visits to exchange goods) and I was intrigued. 

A long time knit buddy here in Milton is Vall of Victory Stitches, and she is a queen of EPP…..her web site was my next visit and I bought some EPP templates and a charm pack of fabric and I started making hexies.

I prefer to hand baste rather than use glue...I find it meditative,

What to do with a whole Oreo cookie insert full of hexies (sorry no photo here)……another small project was required….and I found just the thing on the Free Spirit web site! They have a lot of free project instructions there! 


Hindsight Hexi Pillow ©Free Spirit Fabrics
Click on the link for the free pattern!

I found this bolster and as I had a bolster insert in my extensive craft stash :) I took it as a sign and started sewing!


Here’s my finished bolster!


ROWAN MAGAZINE 70 - Platinum Edition

© Rowan Yarns


Coming September 2021 to your local stockist…..OR be like me and subscribe direct (I love seeing the big cardboard package in the mail) on the new dedicated Rowan Magazine Subscription page!

If you want to see teasers, follow Rowan Yarns on Facebook and/or Instagram.


CHURCHMOUSE YARNS AND TEAS LINEN STITCH SCARF/SHAWL    

Churchmouse Yarns and Teas was on my bucket list of yarn shops….so I was sad when they closed their shop, but happy to see that they are still rocking the knitting world virtually with their classic patterns that they update with new yarn pairings!

The Churchmouse Linen Stitch Scarf/Shawl has intrigued me for years….and I got this in the mail the other day - do you subscribe to the Churchmouse newsletter? If you don’t, you SHOULD!!!

©CHURCHMOUSE YARNS AND TEAS
©CHURCHMOUSE YARNS AND TEAS

I’m sort of intrigued…..this version of the Linen stitch scarf is done in Rowan Felted Tweed and with all of the shades available, Churchmouse has pulled together some lovely colourways. Of course, if you are like me and have a Felted Tweed stash…..say no more right?

This would be an easy tv watching knit project and that’s what I need right now! I haven’t knit a stitch for weeks! Find all the details here on the Churchmouse web site.


WHAT ARE YOU READING?

I’m sure I’ve mentioned that I love mystery/crime right? 

My latest read was “The American Library” which was different for me….but I loved the story and while I think it presented the reality of life in Paris when occupied by the Natzi’s as an “Open City”….no official resistance so no excuse to destroy it with bombing - something I hadn’t really grasped….it focussed on relationships and in particular jealousy.

Right now I’m waiting for the next Anne Cleeves book, the Heron’s Cry….coming in September!

While I’m waiting for new books, I’ve gone back to a classic - Dyed in the Wool by Ngaio Marsh….set on a sheep farm in New Zealand during WWII. 

Do you have any books to recommend? I really like crime/mystery series, with strong lead characters that develop throughout.



UNTIL NEXT TIME

I think that’s all for now….Watch for my Rowan Magazine 70 review which I hope to be able to prepare and post on the magazine release date (like I did with magazine 69) - fingers crossed that the stars align to make this happen.

That’s all for now!

Thank you all for reading/watching/listening…….

Take time for yourself!


Anne

With Lackie always…..Lackie had his 12th birthday on July 7…..








PS: If your Local yarn store doesn’t have what you need, try LoveCrafts! I am a LoveCrafts affiliate, and by using my link, you can support my blog/youtube in a small way. Thank you, Anne

Comments

  1. Current book - The Maidens by Alex Michaelides. Just got it yesterday. Love it already. 60 pages in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was lovely to hear from you (I sound as if I am replying to a friend's letter ... which I feel as if you are!). Your lost and found crochet blanket is a stunner! You must be so happy to have it where you can see and use it. I just started to read The Handmaid's Tale, no need to tell you the author, and I must admit I find it easier to read that I thought but nonetheless the content is both shocking and frightening. I am looking forward to watching your June/July Update video very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the blue and white shawl that Lackie is buried under in the above photo?

    ReplyDelete
  4. did anyone enter your draw for the polka dot scarf? late to the party but ....................

    I enjoyed this blog post but missed it somehow, certainly excited to see you enjoying EPP - I do a little myself but have to be in the mood to get all the stuff out. So much easier to just pick up the knitting. Hope fall is coming to your neck of the woods - thanks Melody

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anne! I have been thinking of you and hoping you are well. These days can be difficult and I just want you to know someone is thinking of you!
    Our weather here in Alberta has been bitterly cold, how is it there in Ontario? I am sure that is where you are if my memory serves, which of late is touch and go lol.
    Anyway, just been thinking of you, hope you are okay.
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Got something to add? I love it when you join the conversation!

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Whimsey!

Fine Art Aran Giveaway Update!

Advent Knit Challenge - Finale