Deep Stash Diving - Rhianwen - Gabrielle Carter, Rowen Magazine 41

Rhianwen, Rowan Magazine 41
© Rowan Yarns

Doesn’t this just make you want to pack your bags and jump on a plane to Morocco!

Ah yes, maybe in the days before this global pandemic .... but we can dream of the day when we will be able to travel freely and safely.

In the meantime....let me tell you about this spectacular Vintage Rowan design.

Let me set the scene. February 2007, I’d just received my subscriber copy of Rowan Magazine 41. It always feel strange to receive a book of  “spring and summer” designs in what is usually our coldest month here in Southern Ontario....but that’s the way knitting seasons go...you are always planning ahead...right?

© Rowan Yarns

Rhianwen immediately caught my eye. I loved the look of the long duster coat...and the denim blue shade of Rowan Summer Tweed...gorgeous!

Yet I didn’t buy the yarn for this design...why?

I think at the time I wasn’t into summer knits!

So 4 years later I’m in my LYS (now closed) and there is a yarn kit made up for Rhianwen. The 18 skeins of Denim 529 Rowan Summer Tweed. Also in this yarn pack are Raffia 515, Toast 530, Torrid 536 and Jardinier 544. Hmmm....Reed 514 has been replaced by 538 Butterball, but it looked good and this yarn pack came home with me.

Then this yarn went into my stash. Why I didn’t start knitting right then and there.  I have the original receipt right here....May 4, 2011. Did I buy it perhaps as a birthday present for myself (my birthday is May 1). I was obviously interested enough because I sourced a skein of Reed 514 to make my yarn pack complete and original.

So, the big question is WHY did it get tucked away in stash....and stayed in stash for all this time.....9 years! Who knows???

When I decided to tidy my stash earlier this year and focus on #stashappy2020....I found Rhianwen and it moved up in my queue! The Rowan Summer Tweed is discontinued....there is something about me and discontinued Rowan yarn, isn’t there....and I love this Denim shade.

It was time for Rhianwen!

The Rowan Summer Tweed is an aran weight yarn — 70% silk, 30% cotton. It is, as the name suggests, a tweedy looking yarn...the “tweed” really shows in the Denim shade. This design being knit on a 4.5mm needle....it’s a relatively quick knit and I breezed through the back.

Of course, the first piece of any knit you are all at attention, reading the pattern line by line, you might even highlight things to remember! Cast on, knit 30 cm of stocking stitch in Denim, followed by rows of stripes in the various shades - watch out, there are decreases in those stripes!


Then came the fronts! Two pieces on one needle! Easy peasy! Well, not quite.

I had made my graphic showing how many rows in each section....Denim block done check, Stripes check!

BUT I FORGOT THE DECREASES in the striped rows! So I had to frog back to the end of the Denim section. All the little balls of yarn in a row ready to be reknit! So that’s a reknit of the stripes on both front pieces.

So, do not be complacent! Read the pattern! Even if you think you know what you are doing, READ THE PATTERN! Read it more than once. When knitting a garment in pieces, before and during knitting a piece, READ THE PATTERN!

Once the front striped sections were again complete....I did a stitch count as a check....fully expecting everything to be just fine! OH NO, one side was one stitch short. One stitch! Imagine! I can hear you saying, Anne, it’s just one stitch, don’t worry about it. But I was worried....where did that stitch go!

First I did a thorough look see from the right side; Then from the wrong side; Then I held it up to the light....nope, no obvious dropped stitch anywhere

Then I started counting.....and all became clear! I had ended the Denim stitches with one less stitch than I should have....it must have been when I joined a new ball of Denim on for those last two rows. Yes, there is where the stitch disappear to...it got caught up in the knot where I joined the yarns!

So here I am, 2 days later and I have just frogged the striped section of one of the front pieces AGAIN.

Another excellent thing to do while knitting is to stop, drop, and count! Yes, stop knitting, put it down and count your stitches!

I’ll be back when I’m finished tidying up in the frog pond!

After the decreases, there are increases back up and then the front v neck shaping....lots of things to keep track of at once!

Once the fronts were done, the sleeves were a quick knit and all the pieces went into Soak for a wash!

There is minimal finishing on this sweater — all edges are finished with a double crochet. That didn’t take long and I was ready to try it on....always a tense moment!

Hmmm......it sits rather wide at the shoulder.....and when you have a close look at the photo in Rowan Magazine 41, well, you can see that it does!! The fabric has body.....and those fronts (because it’s sitting wide on the shoulders) want to curl in! It definitely needs a belt or a closure of some sort.


I take inspiration from the Rowan styling of my knits.....so into my closet for a poke around.....


Long sleeves linen top and linen pants....I used a Rowan kilt pin here just to hold the fronts.


I tried a Belt - I really like this look too.....and I have interesting shoes that might work with this. 


For a more casual look, maybe a tank top and wide legged jeans?

One thing I noticed was that Rowan didn’t worry about lining the stripes up for the photo shoot. Me, I’m trying to line those stripes up perfectly...and then I realize....they look better slightly off! Sometimes you have to let things lie where they want to...because these were never going to stay lined up! 



Here’s me wearing my Rhianwen! Later, I decided to go full on 70’s look here and did an icord tie closure. I desperately need a hair cut, but needs must eh?

So this is another finished object from my stash! That definitely makes me #stashappy2020!

Now with hindsight, summer knits are perfect for my summer lifestyle which includes air conditioning most of the time....a/c at home, in the car, in the shops. It is a RARE day here when the summer temperature is perfect and the a/c isn’t on....and on those days, yes, a summer knit would be perfect too.

Lightbulb moment! Summer Knits are GOOD!

I hope you are keeping well, busy, happy with your knits whether from stash or brand new acquisitions!

If you like, join me on my Life LDC YouTube channel! The latest video discusses finishing Rhianwen and casting on a new project....and, I’m celebrating 1K Subscribers with a giveaway! You have to go over there to participate!

 

 I do have to admit to feeling the need for some retail therapy! I need to do a #stashappy update...because I’ve been using lots of stash and have gifted yarn to some knit friends too....so they have been helping me with my #stashappy2020 goal! I’ll do a separate update on this.

Until then,

Happy Knitting,

Anne x

PS: I’m enjoying my staycation at home....calling it a staycation is just my way of dealing with the what 12 weeks of “stay home stay safe” order....things are opening up, but I’m in no hurry, the post man, UPS delivery guy and Amazon have become very important to my sanity....

PPS: Rowan Magazine 41 has some fabulous designs in it....one morning I jumped onto Instagram Live and went through the magazine.....here’s a link to that video....


PPPS: I’m getting serious here about SABLE, Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy :) and will be putting some on my vintage Rowan Yarns collection on my “For Sale or Trade” page on Ravelry. Prices will be good. Shipping will be extra...to keep things fair (even shipping in Canada ranges depending on where you are and of course what level of service you choose). Right now I just posted a bag of various shades of Summer Tweed....I had intended to knit Kazakhstan by Kaffe Fassett (free pattern) and collected random shades to knit it in....and some extra Denim....you know how it goes.....check out my Ravelry For Sale or Trade Page.

My stash could become your stash :)



Comments

  1. Your summer tweed duster is FAB Ann!!!! - I love summer tweed and have some in my stash too.
    Enjoy your staycation and summer knitting - Mel

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Got something to add? I love it when you join the conversation!

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Whimsey!

Fine Art Aran Giveaway Update!

Advent Knit Challenge - Finale