Bondi/Barton hits the streets!

I was excited to knit with this new Rowan yarn - Denim Revive! You know I LOVE denim and wear it ALL THE TIME!

The "Ocean Blue" collection by Martin Storey included two hoodie designs - one for a man and one for a woman - yes, body shape specific for men and women. I wanted to knit the woman's design, Bondi, but I wanted the stripes and the pockets of the men's design (Barton), so I decided to do a...


The Bondi didn't have pockets but the Barton did. I grabbed those pocket details and incorporated them into my Bondi!


I decided NOT to sew up the rib at the side seam - I really like the inverted V it creates....and it keeps the rib from grabbing at the hips! This is my original modification to the design :) 


I also did a 2x2 rib button band per Barton. Bondi used a garter stitch for the button band.

You make i-cord for the hood string!



(If you've never done i-cord, I get you started in my April 2019 video blog update link here takes you to the right spot!) 



I really like the size of this hood - it's not big and floppy like some hoods.

The Barton design had a solid colour facing that you pick up and knit onto the striped hood piece. You can see the facing peaking out in the above two photos.

The Bondi knit in a solid colour does this all in one piece.




Worn with dark denims, a colourful necklace and leather bag, my Bondi/Barton mashup is perfect for going out with friends for coffee!



With comfortable runners, I'm casual yet put together for those essential shopping trips about town!

When the weather gets warmer....it will look good with my white jeans and a bright tank top! Summer weather......still waiting !!!!!


Styling Tips:

You might think that a striped hoodie isn't something a senior "fluffy" woman would wear.  (I've just turned 66 and wear a Canadian 16 in pants and an XL top)

Well, I hope you see that you are wrong!!!

When I wear a solid top, I usually wear a longer necklace to break up the expanse of solid colour across the chest.

While horizontal stripes can be a challenge to a fluffy person.... these contrasting shade button bands on the Bondi/Barton break up the stripes, as do those pocket bands!

There is no getting away from the fact that this is a casual jacket....but it can be dressed up quite dramatically.....I've tried it on with an asymmetrical hem top and linen pant and sandals.....looks good!

So, I've decided that this piece is going to be a basic to take away on vacation because of it's versatility!


The Yarn:

Rowan's Denim Revive is a fabulous concept - 95% recycled denim and 5% unidentified cotton fibre!

The care is hand wash, lay flat to dry.
  • I hand washed it using Eucalan wool wash....which recommends that you use it on ALL fine washables. 
  • My sweater took 4 days to dry, laid out on my dryer rack, so that air was circulating on both sides.  EDITED TO ADD: My knit friend Konrad told me that he spun his Denim Revive Dover sweater in his washing machine before laying it out to dry...and his only took 1 day to dry! Why didn't I do that?
  • I'm not sure if it was the Eucalan....but the darker Airforce bled into the Cream stripes...so my sweater looks like two shades of blue. 
So, I'd recommend a colour catcher be used when you wash your Denim Revive for the first time (or two). I guess just like your favourite jeans, there is the chance for dye release.

I have put a cream/lispstick Denim Revive swatch in with a wash/dry on my regular cycle....and it came out fine! Maybe it's just the blue shades?


Would I machine wash/dry my sweater???? Hmmm....IF I was to do this with my sweater, I'd put it in a large laundry bag so that the garment wasn't stretched in the wash. BUT, I'm not saying I'm going to do this, or that I recommend this.....I'm just contemplating out loud!


I'll have to wear my Denim Revive Bondi more to see how it wears and how long I can go between washes. I'll report back at the end of the summer!


Back in February I did a review of the Denim Revive yarn and the Ocean Blue collection!


Credits:

My Airforce/Cream Denim Revive was purchased at my LYS The Needle Emporium.

Thank you to Rowan Yarns for gifting me a copy of the Ocean Blue collection! You can buy a hard copy at your LYS or purchase digital downloads via the Knitrowan.com web site! (Hint: It's much cheaper to buy the collection as a download rather than individual patterns!) 

You can also buy the individual digital downloads on the Rowan Ravelry shop....all of the Rowan patterns available digitally are listed alphabetically, so you'll have to scroll down! I don't see a way to buy the Ocean Blue collection via Ravelry.

Rowan Yarns also gifted me yarn to knit Barton in the Airforce/Night combination for the hubby! Thank you Rowan!

212 Airforce
213 Night

I hope to get to on with another Rowan Denim Revive knit later this summer. (Right now I need a break from stripes!)


Disclaimer: All opinions/views expressed are in no way influenced by anyone other than myself.


Whew, that was a big project!

I'm ready for something different...something unusual for me.....something with stripes maybe???

ha ha ha, until next time!

Happy knitting,

Anne x

































Comments

  1. loved seeing you wearing the finished product ! It's been a fun journey, on to the next !
    Mel

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Got something to add? I love it when you join the conversation!

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Whimsey!

Fine Art Aran Giveaway Update!

Advent Knit Challenge - Finale