Hibiscus Neckline......

Done in checkerboard garter stitch -- that's two colours per row - one row of k2 A, K2 B and repeat and a second row, knitting back, using the same shades, to make little garter stitch blocks.  You change up shades as necessary and it makes for quite an effective border.

I did on this sweater a garter stitch row in Olive before starting the checkerboard.

The pattern is written for this -- but  I obviously got something wrong.....but what I was trying to do was start and end each row of this checkerboard garter stitch edging with a stitch in Olive.....so when you pick up for the neckline band, do your garter stitch checkerboard starting off and finishing with one stitch in Olive.

That way you have a one stitch garter row of Olive on the front edges of the neck band.

This Olive row, acts as an extension of the steek edge row from the body of the sweater.....so that when you are picking up stitches for the front cardigan bands, you can carry right on up through the garter stitch neckline band.....

When picking up for these front bands, a second knit row back makes an Olive garter stitch ridge between the band and the body -- I really like that little detail and I'll be doing it on my sweater.

I'll also be keeping the top and bottom stitches of these front bands in Olive -- it sets the band off and gives it a finished edge.

Happy Knitting!

Comments

  1. Love that olive row detail. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had trouble with the pattern as written for the neck too (with the rev. 2/10 version). I think the pattern works as written if the number of stitches is a multiple of 4. I saw the intended effect in the pictures and just cast on the number of stitches I needed to make it happen. It worked fine. Mine differed from yours as I have 3 or 5 Olive stitches on each side. I must confess, I like the look of 1 or 3 Olive stitches on each side better - next time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Got something to add? I love it when you join the conversation!

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Whimsey!

Fine Art Aran Giveaway Update!

Advent Knit Challenge - Finale