Lovely Bones...a book review

Although I'd heard a lot of comments about the subject of this book being distasteful, and that it wasn't the kind of book they'd like to read.......when my friend mentioned that she'd read it and found it, while hard to describe as enjoyable, a good read.


Yes, the fact that the main character of the book is a young girl, murdered while on her way home from school is something that we don't want to hear happening - yet it does happen all the time - but the point of view in the book is this young woman looking down from heaven, at her family and friends, how things have changed because she is gone....it was an amazing book and I'm glad I didn't let the opinion of others deflect me from reading this book.




From the back fly leaf of The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold

"The Lovely Bones is luminous and astonishing, a novel that builds out of grief the most hopeful of stories. In the hands of a brilliant new writer, this story of the worst thing a family can face is transformed into a suspenseful and even funny novel about love, memory, job, heaven, and healing."

Comments

  1. Interesting that you would mention this book. I bought it as well, and although I didn't find the subject matter distasteful (there are worse out there), I just simply got a little bored after awhile. I'm not a "novel" reader. I prefer non-fiction, or if I do read fiction, I lean towards thrillers and crime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you find it sort of took an interesting turn toward the end? Up to a point, she's an observer and it seems like, I dunno, just regular fiction and then it takes a twist and goes almost sci fi. Is it just me?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Got something to add? I love it when you join the conversation!

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Whimsey!

Fine Art Aran Giveaway Update!

Advent Knit Challenge - Finale