Customizing your Hibiscus Cardigan......

Ellen wrote.....

Hi Anne, 
Thank you for directing me to your blog! I am excited about your knit-along... I am planning to knit the beautiful Hibiscus cardigan you designed and will read all the detailed blog entries with great interest!!

I am in love with the fair isle pattern and the colors, but I was hoping to knit it in a longer length as short jackets don't look good on me. I might also want to make the sleeves a little longer. Would it be possible to add one more strip of the design to the bottom after knitting the edging?

Any input you can give me would be SO appreciated! Do you know how much more yarn would be required for the extra strip?

Thanks so much,
Ellen 


Hi Ellen!


Of course you can do anything you want to your Hibiscus cardigan -- make it longer, lengthen the sleeves, whatever -- but it all starts with a swatch.  Are you getting gauge both stitches and rows required?  You have to start with your gauge before you can calculate any adjustments you need to make.



  • How long do you want your sweater to be?
  • How long do you want the sleeves to be?
  • What size are you going to make?



All of this needs to be factored in to figure out if you are going to need to buy extra yarn (more than likely) and how much - which is always a guess, but we want to be as close as possible right?


So, do your swatch, and figure out what size you are going to make, and how much longer you want the body and sleeves to be......then we will go from there.......report back when you've done your swatch Ellen.


Thanks for your question - we need all of this info so that I can show you how to adapt the design to your specs.


Anne

Comments

  1. I added beads to the center of the 'O' motifs, to make it my own. :)

    I hope everyone is posting to Ravelry. I'm looking forward to seeing all the sweaters 'bloom'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anne!
    OK, I guess I better get my act together and do the swatch. I am a little intimidated by this project but I'll jump in!
    I will be back in touch probably this weekend when I have time to start.. Wish me luck!
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you posted this because this was the very reason I was hesitant about the pattern. The pattern is gorgeous but I just didn't think it would look right on my body type.......hmmmmm.....off to ponder this some. I REALLY love this pattern!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Got something to add? I love it when you join the conversation!

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Whimsey!

Fine Art Aran Giveaway Update!

Advent Knit Challenge - Finale