Sneak Peaks....



A friend of mine is knitting the Silk Diamonds Scarf from Simply Shetland 4 -- she's using her own colourway and she let me photograph it when we met for lunch.....

I've never done any modular knitting like this -- looks very interesting.

A couple of you have asked me about the vintage design "Thoroughbred" by you know who -- what shades would I use if I were to knit it....well, I would love to knit it but I have other things on the go right now......but that doesn't stop me from swatching LOL!

So I'd use

It's hard to tell from the photo in Vogue, and looking at the original shades used in Vogue, and comparing them to the shades used in the Scottish Collection version.....I came up with my own colorway. I'm happy with it, but as I've never seen the original, I don't know how close a match it is.

The Thoroughbred design calls for 17 different shades - with two skeins of the main shade and only one each of the other.......that's 18 balls -- would that be enough? I'm wondering.....my Autumn Rose only weighs 16 ounces. (Note that it calls for a 2 oz skeins of Natural and Mushroom......does it actually need 2 Oz of these shades? I don't think so.

I used Moorgrass, Woodgreen Peat, Walnut, Espresso, Port Wine, Blueberry and Bramble for the background, with Cherry, Rust, Amber, Nutmeg, Yellow Ochre, Thistledown, Salmon, Marjoram and Eesit for the pattern.

If I did this design, I'd make the neckline lower (it seems quite high in the photo and someone on Ravelry said they'd make the neckline lower) and maybe give it some subtle shaping a la Autumn Rose (not as drastic as Autumn Rose).

Just my 2 cents worth!

Happy Knitting

Comments

  1. I do not care if it is close to the original !Your colour choice is great!
    Best regards
    Irene (the one from Vienna, Austria)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're such a tease!
    I love your swatch and your friend's scarf too! m :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny - I was just thinking about this design today. Love your colourway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful colour combination(s) Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm....I'm a prick. I love the colors.....except those green ones in the middle.....at least they look like a green shade on my computer..!!:-))

    Hehe..you are the only one I know who is actually making a swatch for "fun"!!*LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I can't believe you're just knitting a swatch for fun!

    I like those colors better than the original picture. (In all fairness, it might look better in "real life".) Yours is more "jewel toned" and looks a little like stained glass, at least on my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmm... Thoroughbred. Must look it up again in the book. I didn't know it was also in VK!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh! I love your color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your color choices too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anne, the colors are great. I think those are the colors I want. Nice of you to share the colors with us.

    Yeesh, I need to grow a couple of extra hands, and retire to catch up on my knitting. You are so good a matching these colors up. I see that Helen has given a 'hint' for the Oregon Autumn on the list.

    I think you did a fantastic job of coloring that one too. I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Got something to add? I love it when you join the conversation!

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Whimsey!

Fine Art Aran Giveaway Update!

Advent Knit Challenge - Finale