Scissors and Knits!

Do you take your scissors to your hand knitting? 

It's called STEEKING, and yes, it seems scary, but it doesn't have to be!





It's 2019, and with this new year along with my regular knit updates, product reviews and acquisition videos....I'm planning on doing a series of steek technique videos! My "go to" technique is the first up.....it's simple, clean and probably the most organic way to steek!

There's a bonus at the end of how I pick up my stitches.

Happy 2019 Everyone!

Anne x

....It's really cold here and we've got a lot of fresh snow....so Lackie, Daisy and I are having a snow day, watching videos, drinking tea and knitting (of course). 

I hope you are all safe and warm and enjoying your day too!

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anne
    Such a clear and helpful episode ! just embarking on Yell from Marie Wallin's Shetland book and was terrified but not now !!! so timely - thank you heaps.
    Lovely to hear about your snowy wonderland … here in Australia we are experiencing extreme heatwave conditions - despite which I knit on !
    Look forward to many many wonderful episodes and best wishes again Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ali here again Anne
    Can you please tell me which stitches you use in the steek - is it just one stitch alternating with the second coloured yarn across 10 stitches ? I am still working on Yell from Marie's Shetland book and at first tried to keep the pattern going on the 10 steek stitches then gave up and just was rather casual changing the two colours as I went along …..don't want to take it all out so hope I can just fudge it when I come to cut !
    thanks again for such wonderful informative episodes.
    bets wishes
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ali, First, I use markers to define my steek stitches....so if you are doing 10 steek stitches, stitches 1 and 10 are your edge stitches and you should always do them in the shade that is your background shade. You alternate background, pattern, background across the other 8 stitches....yes sometimes you have two stitches of the same shade...but on the next row you change up and make a checkerboard effect! Doing the edge stitch like this defines where you would be picking up stitches...makes it easier to see the edge. If you change up yarns in the centre of your steek....it will be easy to see where to cut because the ends will be handing down and makes little holes...which make it easier to follow that centre line. Hope this helps! Anne

      Delete

Post a Comment

Got something to add? I love it when you join the conversation!

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Whimsey!

Fine Art Aran Giveaway Update!

Advent Knit Challenge - Finale