Majestic Moss Applöse


My friend Candy pointed out this simple piece to me as an effective piece for every day wear - especially like now when everyone is trying to save on their fuel bill by keeping the heat a bit lower.

I'm laughing at this because Hubby and I are at odds about just where to keep the thermostat.....I'm mostly warm, sometimes hot, seldom cold.......he spends a lot of time in his hobby room in the basement....so he's always cold.....

Recently Hubby read somewhere on the net that the optimum temperatures for fuel efficiency are 69 degrees F in the daytime, and 63 at night!  Well, we were running at 72 and 70 (sometimes 68 at night).  Hubby agreed to try out the new guideline temperatures.

So...I've had to introduce him to the wonderful warmth of wool.  You'd think he'd know all about it, but somehow my subtle teachings hadn't been retained.....but he's getting the idea now!

Here he is today with my Rockefeller Scarf - he had to admit that it made a HUGE DIFFERENCE in how warm he felt.  Now just to get him to wear a hat.  (He thinks that having to wear a scarf and hat in the house is a bit much.....but I think I'm getting through to him.

Anyway, back to the subject of the post......


I hinted at this yesterday....when we were taking photos of Frances.

Pattern:  Majestic Moss by the Knitter's Team
from Knitter's Magazine 109


I used Rowan Felted Tweed Aran in Mahogany (734)
Edged in Rowan Felted Tweed DK in Treacle (145)

A mistake rib bottom, and K3P1 rib top section define this straight up and down tunic style sweater. The pattern calls for the edging to be done in a high contrast shade, with beads (again contrasting).  

Discussion with my knitting friend convinced us both that for a more sophisticated look, we'd use the same shade of yarn for the edgings as the body.




Because I wanted to do the bead edging...well, a bit of thinking had to be done.
First I phoned my friend Vall at Chivalry Beads.....and arranged to drop by to look at the possibilities.  It was love at first sight....
and they look great with the sweater
 - but I have to say, getting them strung on an Aran weight yarn - not fun!
So bead expert Vall suggested using a lighter weight yarn for the edging.  Brilliant! I just happened to have some Rowan Felted Tweed DK in Treacle, which was ever so slightly darker than the Mahogany  Rowan Felted Tweed Aran.

The beads and the Treacle shade make a great edging.....
just subtly different than the body of the sweater.
And the two pieces go together well.
If I had the opportunity to go back on this project.....I'd make the K3P1 rib top section a bit longer - a belt cuts it a bit higher than I'd like.

Whew, that was an intense bit of knitting and crocheting for the first month of the year.  But there was a reason, I wanted something new to wear......you'll find out about where soon enough!

OK, what's next?  Marilyn!  A summer sweater, so I'm way ahead of the season, I should be able to wear it this summer!

Happy Knitting!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Whimsey!

Fine Art Aran Giveaway Update!

Advent Knit Challenge - Finale